Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday, December 30
It's still raining here but one day we had a "Sun break."  That's their term for a little sun - here quickly and gone.  During this "Sun break" I actually finally saw for the first time Mt. Rainier.  It is really majectic and just pops up all by itself big and huge.  It took me over a month to finally see it.  I didn't believe it actually existed and tried to think every moutain bump I saw was it.  Well, when you finally see it you have no doubt you are looking at Mt. Rainier.  I told Jerry that now that I've seen it we can go home.  He didn't laugh at my joke, maybe because he was worried I wasn't joking.
We manged to get all the missionaries' packages and letters to them on Monday for Christmas.  It was very hectic with all of them coming and going.  Since it had been transfer day the week before many parents were calling to see where their missionary was and when they'd be calling for Christmas.  The phones were ringing off the hook - "Tell Elder or Sister...... to call between 2:00 and 3:00 because we'll be at Grandma's."  This was the jest of most calls.  All were excited and I knew I was too to see how the family was doing for Christmas.  It certainly was a different Christmas.  After talking to the family and friends we went to a "homeless" dinner that another senior couple in the mission sponsored.  I guess we really fit, as we felt homelss.  They had about 40-50 there - investigators, families away from home, missionaries, homeless, ward members.  It was a very nice dinner.  All brought something and we had turkey and ham and rolls provided.  That evening we put away Christmas.  I wanted to save all the blow ups for McKay when he's off on his mission next year - blow up Christmas tree and Rudolf ring the antler game.  It will add joy to another missionary apartment.
Still working on mastering all the computer programs.  Just when I think I have it down, something doesn't work.  It's very frustrating.  Now I'm learning to find ways around things when they don't work.  The last time I was a secretary was between years in college when we had typewriters and carbon paper.  Boy, have things changed - my brain just hasn't caught up.  Jerry's excerised bike arrived and now we can take our frustration out as we ride to oblivion. 
Saturday we went exploring and drove around the Peninsula and saw lots of the Sound and where the huge old navy ships are docked in Bremerton and went over bridges that have to raise in order for submarines to come into port.  Lots of pine trees, moss, ferns and ivy.  Can't wait to see it in the sun.  Found a darling little coastal town called Steilacoom where we had lunch in a little cafe converted from a post office.  The ferry went out of this town too to some islands and we saw it load up and go.
Still exploring and discovering, so the adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment