Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday, February 3 Starting another month and 9 to go. It should be as long as pregnancy. It took all week to recover from transfers. New missionaries coming and all the others moving makes for chaos. We received 17 new sisters and 8 new elders. They were so cute and excited - even enough to leave suitcases and even their new bikes when they left for their areas. Sometimes they are just like children and you have to pick up after them. All week we were answering calls from parents as to new addresses and until we got the new list finished (we call it the infinity list, which I think it's because it never ends being done) it was dectective work searching for over 200 names and places. I think we are finally on the smooth road to work, except it will all happen again in 5 weeks. Usually it's 6 weeks between transfers and new missionaries coming, but for some reason SLC has deleted a week. I had one tender mercy. We were out of Book of Mormons. They had been ordered for over two weeks and Friday we gave out our last one and I knew that by transfers they'd all be needing more. So I prayed all weekend for the mail to bring some books. Well Monday half of our order arrived. I was so thrilled. But since it was only half I knew I needed to learn more about prayer. I tided us through transfers, so we were blessed. If I'd been more worthy, we'd have gotten them all. The departing missionaries always have a testimoney meeting at the end of transfer day and I got some great quotes from these amazing young people who are giants in their testimonies. Here are a few: "I don't have to leave this mission. It's coming home with me." "This mission has been 1/10th of my life - my tithing to the Lord." "This isn't my final testimony. I will bear my testimony forever. What you did was good." Then they all sang the mission theme song, "Amazing Grace." It was spine tingling and the Mission President reminded us all to reread Chapter 2 in "Preach My Gospel" a chapter about the Plan of Salvation - a Plan for Each. All week I was ordering more supplies. I can't remember if one order came to $ll,000 or $1,l00. I'm bad with zeros. We'll see if I'm sent home for over spending. The President OK's the list that I give him, so I should at leased be approved when it all comes in. Lots of items are back ordered. Every mission must be gearing up for extra missionaries. We will get over 30 more next month. A side note - McKay turns in his papers today. Another Elder Jones will be hitting the mission field this year and soon. We are anxiously awaiting that news. The Office Elders were in all week working so hard on the new lists. Someone in the local wards brought dinner in to give to the sisters and the elders just looked at it and drulled so we asked them if they were hungry and we took them out to eat. They are so cute, one from Arizona and one from Texas. Of course we went to get Mexican food and they enjoyed. I love being around these young missionaries. Friday was a day to rejoice that we'd made it through the week. I also accomplished two things on the computer I didn't think I knew how to do - e-mailed a baptism list to Tacoma Stake clerk where I had to copy and paste and creat a file and send. You all may think "a piece of cake," but I was so proud. Then copied pictures off the Church's web site and printed them for the new seniors' boad as we get two new couples this week. When the computer and I lock horns I'm am winning a couple of bouts.
As a treat on Saturday we went on an excursion. Two of the other office couples and we took the ferry and went over to the southern most island in Puget Sound called Vashon. It was so fun and a beautiful place. Cute little town with one main street filled with shops and restaurants - even antique stores. We had fun shopping. I now have a child's rocker. Yes, Greg and Kyle will have to come up with the truck to bring us home - Jerry's bike and my rocker. They have a light house here and the tide was out so the muddy shoreline was interesting. If you go to their blog they also have a bycicle in a ivy covered tree that someone put there years ago and the tree grew up around it. If anyone comes to see us we will have to go to this island. We ended the day with a seafood dinner at our favorite restaurant on the Sound - Anthony's. Ready for a new week and new challenges - like a Primary song in Sign Language Class. I'm working on my next calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment